This letter was sent home via email on 3/26/2018
Parents of Grade 8 Swampscott Middle School Students
Course Selection Information night is this Thursday, March 29th from 6:30PM-715pm. We will discuss everything below including the override process. As grade 9 students, students are able to select one elective and one alternate, the process only takes them about 3 minutes in Aspen.
- First, families should look through the program of studies on the SHS website under resources- families. Students in grade 9 have a limited selection of electives. https://high.swampscottps.org/program-studies-course-selection/
- There are 7 periods available for students to take courses during the school year (quarter, semester, or year long courses).
- The grade 9 schedule is automatically filled with 5 Full Year courses- their core course recommendations for Math, English, Science, History, and World Language. Some students receiving special education services will have another full-year course called Task Management. You can view these in the Aspen Portal.
- The other two blocks are divided into a combination of full year or semester based courses. Grade 9 students are automatically scheduled for 2-3 of the following graduation requirements:
- Contemporary Adolescent Issues (Health) a quarter class
- Foundation for Lifelong Fitness (Physical Education) a semester class that all freshmen take during first semester only
- Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) a semester class
- Computer Applications – a semester class
- Freshmen typically get one semester elective or two quarter electives. The number of electives increases as students move along at SHS. By senior year you have the option of 2 full year electives or 4 semester electives or a combination of semester, year, and quarter electives.
- Students who choose band or chorus will be scheduled for it as a 6th full year class. These two courses run at the same time as they often rehearse together for performances. This will be considered their elective and they will not have to choose any other electives as those will be filled by graduation requirements.
- The deadline to choose an elective and a back-up is Friday, April 7. It does not matter if you choose your elective on April 2 or 3 or 7, just that you get it done. All schedules are processed according to year of graduation, not by first come first served
If you cannot make Thursday evening, the presentation will be on our website on the course selection page will be added to this site by Monday, April 2. We will also include instructions on how to select courses in Aspen. https://high.swampscottps.org/program-studies-course-selection/
The Override Process/Course Placement Review
We encourage the students to have a conversation with their SMS teacher first.
The grade 8 teachers know what to expect at SHS. They have learned the students’ work habits, skill set, and they think carefully about where students will experience the most success and get the most of out of their education at SHS before they recommend a level. If the student does not agree with the teacher’s course level recommendation, after carefully discussing the implications with parents, students may initiate the placement review process. If students override and are in a class that is too challenging and they cannot keep up with the work, a low grade (sometimes failing) is the result. We cannot guarantee the student can move into another level mid year. It depends on space and schedule limitations.
Students must fill out a course placement form to override a course. This form will be available in the SMS main office and is due in the main office at SMS on or before April 12.
Course Selection Evening at SHS is March 29, 2018 in the auditorium. Grade 8 parents are invited from 6:30-7:15 PM and grade 9-11 parents are invited from 7:15-8:00 PM. All presentations will be available online on the SHS course selection page by Monday, April 2.
Students who are moving to Swampscott or coming from private schools follow a different process that has placement testing as they are not coming from Swampscott Middle School.
Swampscott High School Drama Club is proud to present The Addams Family, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, April 5, 6, & 7 at 7 p.m. in the Swampscott High School Auditorium. Ticket info can be found by contacting email@example.com
Parents are invited to view a presentation about the ALICE training that Swampscott High School and Swampscott Middle School students will be trained in during the month of March. The elementary schools will participate in a version of this training that has been prepared for students in the younger grades.
We encourage all parents to attend. While parents will not practice the drills, they will see the materials & presentation that the students will be seeing in the upper grades, and the basic premise of Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate.
The training will be held from 6:30-8:00 PM at Swampscott High School in the auditorium.
If you cannot attend, the materials will be posted on the district website next week. You can also look at the following links to materials prepared by Masconoment, Tewksbury, and Waltham.
Swampscott High School
Tuesday, September 18
Pick up a schedule at 5:45 or ask your student for a copy at home
6:00 p.m. in the Auditorium
Parents will be provided with a copy of the student schedule. Each teacher will present curriculum materials. Parents who wish to discuss their individual child’s progress or needs should make an appointment for another time.
5:45-6:00- Pick up schedules
6:00-6:15 Brief welcome in the auditorium.
6:20 – 6:30 Period 1
6:35 – 6:45 Period 2
6:50 – 7:00 Period 3
7:05 – 7:15 Period 4
7:20 – 7:30 Period 5
7:35 – 7:45 Period 6
7:50– 8:00 Period 7
During free periods, parents are invited to the atrium. The school counselors will have a table set up to speak with parents.
Please email SPSwebmaster@swampscott.k12.ma.us to report inaccessible content or if you have questions or concerns about accessing information on this website.
Complaint procedures and filing formal grievances under Section 504 can be found on our website accessibility page.
200 Essex St
Swampscott, MA 01907